They say one cannot think well, love well, sleep well if one has not dined well. Add to this eating quarantine foods or rather eating interesting foods is also the key to quarantining well! The lockdown has surely unleashed the inner chef in us. Some of us are acquiring a new skill set in the culinary department. While the others are realizing that one of the hardest parts of being an adult in this quarantine period is figuring out what to cook every single day for the rest of our lives. JK, we mean every single night of the quarantine life.
Food also has a therapeutic effect on most of us. It rids us of our hanger making us much more pleasant to be around in these unpleasant times and helps us deal with stress and anxiety induced by the COVID. Raise your hands if you agree. Hence, to spice things up for this quarantine, we've curated a list of delicious recipes for you. They are quick, easy, and will solve the mystery of what to cook next!
The Dalgona coffee trend has not only taken the Instagram world by storm but has also become an evening staple in our quarantine foods diary. This whipped instant coffee is 10X times creamier than your regular coffee, smoother in taste and will fulfill all your Starbucks cold coffee cravings.
- 2 tbs. instant coffee
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. hot water
- In a small bowl combine coffee, sugar, and hot water. Start beating this coffee with your spoon till the sugar completely dissolves.
- Continue beating the coffee with a hand blender or an electric blender for another 10 mins until a thick, frothy whipped cream-like foam is obtained.
- Add milk in a glass or a cup of your choice leaving 1 inch of space.
- Scoop out the beaten coffee and top it over the milk. If you have chocolate chips at home feel free to add them to this to get your java chip fix.
Microwave Mug Cake
After all, stressed is desserts spelled backwards right? With most of the restaurants and cafes being out of your reach we know how hard it is to give up on your favourite cheesecakes and decadent chocolate pastries. This is why we bring to you a recipe for the easiest chocolate mug cake to keep your cravings in check! If you don't have Nutella home don't be disheartened you can add your regular drinking chocolate or melted chocolate too!
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Nutella or melted chocolate or 2 tbsp. drinking chocolate
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Combine milk, flour, and baking powder in an oversized microwave-safe ceramic mug. Whisk until the batter is smooth without any lumps.
- Stir in the Nutella or melted chocolate or drinking chocolate and mix until the batter has no lumps.
- Microwave on high for 60 seconds.
- Check for the denseness and continue microwaving slowly in 15-second intervals. Since microwaves tend to vary keep checking at every 15-second intervals if the cake looks set. The edges will pull away from the side of the mug and cake will look fluffier.
- If you are unable to judge you can insert a toothpick into the centre of the cake. If must come out clean.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes. Top it with a dollop of Nutella before eating.
Adding rajma to your list of quarantine foods will give a boost to your immune system which is the need of the hour. When eaten in combination with rice it is a powerful meal full of protein, antioxidants, good carbs, and amino acids. And isn't it delicious too? If you are one of those who are intimidated by this comfort dish then this recipe will surely make things easy for you.
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp. red chilli powder
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp. garam masala
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup rajma cooked
- 2 cups of water
- 2 green chillies slit
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsp. cream or butter
- In a large pan add 2 tbsp. ghee. Once it's hot add cumin seeds, cloves, and cinnamon. Saute for 30 seconds.
- To this add chopped onions, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Next add in chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and garam masala. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the tomatoes soften. Cooking the tomatoes with the masalas will add more depth of flavour to the curry. You can also add in some water if the tomatoes begin to dry.
- Keep aside 1/4th cup cooked rajma and mash it for a thick texture.
- Add the remaining 3/4th cup rajma to the onion tomato gravy with 1 cup of water and let it simmer for 2 mins.
- Now add in the mashed rajma and cook for the next 7 mins. The gravy will thicken.
- Check for the salt and add more if required. Or else proceed to add cream or butter. Butter will impart more flavour to the rajma. However, if you are weight conscious you can skip this step.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with rice.
Potato Lasagna Casserole
No time to step down? You can still fulfill your Italian meal cravings with this delicious lasagna by swapping your lasagna sheets with a potato base. We swear you won't know the difference.
- 4 potatoes peeled and cut into slices
- 1/4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp. crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup mushrooms
- 1/4 cup broccoli (optional)
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 tbsp. pizza sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- salt as required
- 1/2 tbsp. parsley
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese or processed cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and Grease your baking dish with olive oil.
2. To quicken the baking process bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potato slices to the boiling hot water and cook for 5 mins or more till the potatoes soften but are firm. Drain the excess water and set aside.
3. Take another pan and add olive oil, crushed garlic, and onions. Saute till the onions are translucent. Then add mushrooms and broccoli. Season with salt and parsley. Cook for 7 mins or more till the mushrooms and broccoli turn tender.
4. Layer potatoes in the baking dish and top it with pizza sauce, cooked veggies, and cheese. Top with remaining potatoes and create one more layer of pizza sauce, cooked veggies, and cheese.
5. Bake for 45 minutes in the oven. Serve hot!
Honey Glazed Chicken Breasts
Uncomplicate your quarantine foods with this sweet, nutty and delicious chicken recipe. This absolute stunner is guaranteed to be your staple in your kitchen even after the lockdown. After all, there is nothing like winner-winner chicken dinner!
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ t. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Take a skillet and pound the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with all the seasonings.
- Now, in another pan, heat some butter over medium heat and add in the chick breasts from step 1.
- Let the chicken cook for 6-8 minutes, until it is no longer pink and turns brown on both sides. Drizzle the cooked chicken e with honey and pecan(or walnuts) and cook until chicken is nicely glazed for about 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and enjoy.