As excited as we are for Eid, and the joy it brings, all the makeup addicts are disheartened about not being able to feed into their makeup fix because of the lockdown. Add to that, the purchasing woes that cross the mind in the current risky lockdown situation even if malls were to open. But what if we told you that you can still turn this whole situation around? YES! You read that right. As long as you have your make up essentials like lipstick, kohl pencil, mascara, foundation, and concealer in place, you can still go all Bollywood glam with your Eid makeup.
Check out these celebrity-inspired Eid looks and learn how to recreate that luminous dewy skin without a primer, how to nail the winged eyeliner look with just a kohl pencil, and more!
Smokey Eyes Look
What you'll need: A kohl pencil
Eye makeup trends like colorful lids and metallic eyes may come and go but the good old smokey eye never fails to impress even today. While it's certainly gotten an upgrade with browns and pastels, the smoldering black smokey eye is still a go-to-look for many celebrities and very much a red carpet favourite, too. With a strong smudging game and a kohl eyeliner, master the look with these 5 steps.
- Prep your skin with foundation and concealer like usual. Since you won't be using an eyeshadow you won't have to worry about the fallout from the powder and the foundation-concealer base will act as your moisturizing primer.
- Start by drawing a thick line across your upper lash line with the kohl pencil. Don’t fret about drawing it perfectly since you’ll be smudging it anyway. Now, using a soft smudging brush or your fluffy brush, blend the line across your entire lid right upto your crease for an eye shadow effect. Remember to smoke outwards for a sharp winged eye.
- If you feel like your crease looks uneven you can shape it well with the concealer by just dabbing it. This will also give a nice highlight to your brow bone.
- Now, using the same kohl pencil line your waterline. Working your way from the outside go three quarters in while keeping your eyes open. Then, grab your brush and smudge the kajal. By doing so, you’ll ensure there’s darkness at the root, but the rest is blended well and gives a smokey eye effect. If you're not sure how to go about doing this check out this video by professional makeup artist Arti Nair.
- Complete the look by applying lots of mascara and nude coloured lipstick and you're all set for Eid.
What you'll need: A good ol' stalwart mascara
Festive occasions like Eid call for dramatic looks like the cut crease. We know, we know! But when you have a mascara that opens and defines the eye to your rescue, you can really do without all that eye definition from the cut crease eyeshadow. If you absolutely must add some crease use the kohl pencil for a slight definition, like Alia.
- Start by priming your eyelids with a concealer. If you have two lipsticks of the same family colour, for example, a dark pink and a light pink you can use them as eyeshadows. If you have a simple peach brown coloured lipstick you can still work with a single coloured eyeshadow, like Alia.
- Those who are not feeling confident, we suggest sticking to a glossy lipstick since they are easier to blend. However, if you're up for the challenge or only have liquid matte's to count on then we recommend working with 2 - 3 dots since liquid lipsticks are highly pigmented and tougher to blend out.
- If you are working with dual colours, start by applying the lighter lipstick in the centre of your lid and blend it all over your lid. Or if you are working with a solo colour apply it all over your lid. Using the same brush apply the shade to your lower lash line.
- Then taking a darker lipstick shade or a kohl pencil create an outer V and blend it well. This will give your eyes a nice shape and definition. Finish the look by applying two coats of mascara to fully open up your eyes.
- Apply your base of foundation and concealer followed by lipstick and blush (or lipstick turned into blush).
Pro Tip: If you want the exact look as Alia we recommend using the same lipstick to do your lips and blush too.
Sultry Winged Eyeliner Look
What you'll need: A kohl pencil / eyeliner
Winged eye is every MUA's go-to look, and an eyeliner is, perhaps, their favourite product, ever. However, if you think you've run out of eyeliner then let us tell you that's not a problem. In makeup, there's a fix to everything. If you think your eyeliner has dried up, revive it giving it a shake and adding a few drops of over the counter eye drops. Or simply turn your kohl pencil into an eyeliner by running the tip of your eye pencil over the flame for one super quick moment. Wait for 10-15 seconds till it cools off (you don’t want to burn your eyelids with a flaming hot tip, very un-Eid), test it by rolling the tip on the back of your hand and get ready to use it. Now, that we have eased your mind off the worry, check out how to get Deepika's winged eye look.
- Prep your skin with foundation and concealer like usual.
- Using a pink or brown lipstick create an eyeshadow base on your lid area. Since they are neutral colours, suit every skin tone, and add a pop of colour to your eyes they will make the whole winged eyeliner stand out. However, if you want to keep it simple then you can skip this step too.
- Next, create a winged eye look with your now revived eyeliner or kohl pencil. If you want the same look as Deepika, don't forget to line your waterline.
- Set the look with blush and peachy lipstick.
Pro Tip: You can also use the same peachy lipstick or a darker brown lipstick, depending on your skin tone, if you want to contour your face like Deepika. Just use it like a contour stick.
Bold Coloured Lips For Eid
What you'll need: Your trusted shade of dark lipstick
If you're the one who likes to go high on the drama without going all-out with your eyes, we recommend you try the bold coloured lips. Don't have a matte lipstick? Don't worry as long as you have just the right shade of red, berry, tangerine, or any other colour you prefer in a creamy, satin or glossy variant, you will sail through.
- Start by priming your eyes with a concealer. Since your lips will be bold we recommend going for minimal eye makeup, so create an eyeshadow base with a neutral colour like light pink or brown lipstick. Using an angular brush apply the same shade to your lower lash line.
- To get Anushka's exact look which is slightly smokey we recommend creating an outer V with a kohl pencil and smudging it well. Lightly run over the same brush on your lower lash line too. This will give you a romantic soft diffused look. Apply a coat of mascara to finish the eyes.
- Set the base with a foundation and concealer.
- Exfoliate your lips and wear the lipstick of your choice. Then take a tissue paper and place it between your lips to blot out the excess colour. Doing this itself will give you a nice semi-matte finish. However, if you want an even more mattified look then lightly dust some translucent powder or baby powder and press it onto your lips for a couple of seconds to blot the excess shine.
- Finish the look with a soft pink blush.
Monochrome Make Up With Dewy Skin
What you'll need: A lipstick and highlighter
Amongst the many makeup trends, the one trend that stood out in all the celebrity looks is the monochrome makeup trend. The idea is to match your lips, cheeks, and eyes and keep the colours in the same shade range to give it a nice chic look. And the dewy skin just makes the look even more radiant and enviable. Ananya Pandey wore this look with an ivory lehenga when she walked the ramp for designer Anushree Reddy. And ever since we saw her we were hooked. You too can recreate this look for Eid!
- The base of this look is extremely crucial since she has a glass skin look. To ace the base we recommend you begin by exfoliating your skin with your favourite exfoliator and follow it up with cleansing, toning, and moisturizing.
- Now that your skin is ready for makeup, apply a light base of concealer and foundation. Remember you want to it to look dewy so keep the base light and not too cakey.
- Then take 1 - 2 drops of your facial oil and apply it on your face using your foundation brush. Alternatively, you can also mix vaseline or your favourite lipbalm along with your foundation to get the dewy skin look.
- To get Ananya's exact monochrome look use your peach to create the eyeshadow base, as a lipstick, and as a blush. If you don't have a peachy colour you can also create the monochrome look with a rosy pink colour.
- This look is also all about highlighting and definition. If you happen to have a highlighter at home you can use it to highlight your cheekbones like Ananya. Or simply use your light coloured concealer and peach/brown lipstick to contour for that cheek definition.
- Finish the look with eyeliner and a coat of mascara.